« Monster Wasp? | Main | Ladybugs invade North Carolina »

The Halloween bug?

Asian_ladybug_usda_photo Since my post last week about Asian ladybugs/lady beetles, I have seen more articles about their invasion of homes.

Since their infestation usually occurs in late October, and some of them are more orange than red, I have occasionally heard them referred to as "Halloween Bugs".

A woman in Washington, D.C., prefers to call them "little monsters", as she discovered an estimated 40,000 Asian lady beetles in her house recently.

The author of this article from the Washington Post also links Asian lady beetles to Halloween:

The annual gathering of the ladybugs has begun, when they barge into the house like a horde of unwanted trick-or-treaters.

As if their home invasion habit wasn't enough of a nuisance, this news report out of New England quotes a doctor as saying some people can be allergic to these ladybugs, and that their presence can bring on "Itchy eyes, nose, nasal congestion, scratchy throat, coughing and in more severe cases wheezing and shortness of breath."

October 31, 2006 in Asian lady beetles | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Halloween bug?:


What would I call a black and red bug that is elongated not roundesh such as the lady bug. It flys, they gather is clumps looking like a pile of the bugs..they pile on top of one another looking like a pile of black and red bugs

Posted by: Donna | Mar 8, 2009 3:37:20 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.